Sunday, September 15, 2013

Blog Assignment #4

Flat Stanley

Flat Stanley by Jeff BrownI absolutely loved this podcast. The children had so much fun, and you could tell in their voices! I loved that after reading the book, Flat Stanley, the students put themselves in the book. They imagined what it was like to become flat by being hit by a bulletin board, just like Flat Stanley. They were flat like pancakes and could be mailed anywhere in the world! The students not only read the story, they also became the story by traveling by envelope to different places in the world from Alabama to Australia to Israel to Space! I love that the teacher made the students look up facts about each place by borrowing a book from the library and searching online. The students not only read the story and built the podcast, they had to write a script as to where they were going, how they got to their new location, what they did while they were there, and how they got home to Jacksonville, FL. I love that the students also had to think about the smells, the mood they had, what it felt like to be in the envelope, the sounds they heard, and what they saw. This was such a wonderful activity for these children to be a part of! 

1st Graders Create Their Own Read-Along Audiobook

Magic Treehouse: Vacation Under the Volcano by Mary Pope OsborneI loved what this teacher did with her students. Sometimes students don't fully understand chapter books when they are younger because there is SO much information in the book that 6 or 7 year old kids can get lost. This podcast allowed students to have a fifteen minute version of the book where these students got to read it and perform it. Having the characters Jack and Annie plus the interviewer allowed the students to view the book in a different way. These types of podcast recordings allow students to all participate. Sometimes I even felt like a Dinosaur was chasing me! I really hope that whenever I have my own classroom, I can incorporate ideas just like these!


Listening-Comprehension-Podcasting
The Story of Esther: A Purim Tale by Eric A. Kimmel
The biggest thing that this podcast showed me was that podcast can show achievement and improvement. I really enjoyed listening to these students say different phrases in Hebrew in order to tell the story of Purim. Listening to the students while they were in the first grade recording Flat Stanley and Vacation Under the Volcano and then listening to them do the podcast on Purim showed magnificent progression. These videos gave me a different view on podcasts and they will be something that I incorporate into my classroom. 

6 comments:

  1. Hello Haley,

    I loved the Flat Stanley podcast as well. It was really great to hear the way the kids talked about the story and how excited they became when they were added to the story! While reading your blog post I could not find any grammatical errors, you have great writing skills! My only correction would be that you should add a link to the different pod casts to your blog so that your readers can see and listen to the pod casts as well. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Thanks for the tip! I do have links to the podcast sites. The title to each section is a live link to the site. Try it out!

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see it now! I did not see that before, Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Haley!
    We almost have the same name! Mine’s Kaley Marie! I’m sorry, I got side tracked for a moment! Your Blog Assignment #4 was a great read! I enjoyed the story of Flat Stanley and the way the teacher inspired the students to experience every part of their travels as well! Relating to the second paragraph, if you ever run into any issues with children not understand a reading passage, I wrote about a website called Rewordify.com in my C4T#1 post that allows children to copy and paste a certain passage and it changes the difficult words into simple words that they can better understand. The three projects that you wrote about are excellent ways for students to learn and be engaged in something they’re actually interested in! I found no grammatical errors and your post was well organized!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Kaley! That is a great resource to use! I will be sure to use that one day when I am in my own classroom!

    ReplyDelete