Sunday, October 13, 2013

C4T #2

My second C4T came from Dean Shareski's blog "Ideas and Thoughts". Shareski specializes in the use of technology in the classroom. Starting in 2012, Shareski began working for Discovery Education as the Community Manager of Canada Discovery Ed Network (DEN). He was given the ISTE Award for Outstanding Leadership in Technology and Education. He believes that school and learning must be different and that great minds and ideas exist locally and through personal, virtual connections. 




In this post, Shareski explains why teachers aren't changing to more technological based curriculum. A point that he made was that teachers have to rethink everything in their classrooms because teachers aren't fully trained to help all students. There are so many needs in students that a classroom in college or a conference doesn't cover them all. Teachers aren't making the shifts for more reasons than just time. Teachers are being told they are doing fine and when they hear that, they don't think they need to keep working past what they have to. The teachers have staff that work on doing the research in their classes. This causes teachers to become lazy. Something that some people don't realize is that making these changes to technology takes time and a lot of it. Teachers expect to go to a conference or workshop, take a college course, or look at blogs and expect them to go in and understand fully what they need to change. 

Comment #1: 

Hello, My name is Haley Smith, and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL. It is really hard for me to connect to these changes because I am still learning to be an educator. I am a junior at USA and I have been enjoying taking classes toward my certification. One thing you mentioned was that teachers "take a class and have a professor that introduces them to a new approach to learning. This is the boat that I am in. Dr. Strange is the instructor and he is currently teaching us different ways to use technology in the schools. I hope one day I can make the shift as a teacher. Thanks for your post!


The second post I read from Dean Shareski was about originality. Someone somewhere has probably said the same thing or thought the same thing or shared the same thing and the thought "Why should I?" comes to mind. He shared that there is a high chance that you will not come up with your own unique idea, insight, or resource. Sometimes seeking to be original isn't what we need. Shareski quoted the question "So the question is, why take pictures of places that you visit that probably aren’t going to be as good as the photos that others have already taken that are already available for you to use in your own albums, slide shows, whatever? I mean, unless you want to organize the wife and kids in front of the spot just to prove you’ve been there, what’s the point?" The point he makes is that although you can find the same pictures of landmarks but the ones you find on the Internet is that you don't take those. Those images don't have the memories, stories, insights, and ideas that you have with the picture. Your pictures have a personal context and perspective that you can't find online. For example, you can Google "Cinderella's castle in Disney World". Lots of images will appear but those don't capture the excitement of your child that sees it for the first time or the man that asks his girl to be his wife. Those come from your personal images and your personal memories. The pictures may get boring to look at but the individual response and thoughts changes the entire perspective. Originality is overrated but your thinking isn't. 

Comment #2:

Hello, my name is Haley Smith, and I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama in Mobile, AL. I really enjoyed reading this post and I often find myself thinking this too. In April of 2013, I went to Disney World and someone asked me "What are you going to do with a picture of the castle? You can Google that." It wasn't the fact that I never had access one. It was the fact that I was there and I was making memories there. Originality is something that is leaving the classroom. That is one reason I don't like worksheets. With worksheets, students don't have the freedom to be themselves and make their work what they want it to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment