Sunday, November 24, 2013

Blog Post #14

For blog post 14, we were asked to create a post that Dr. Strange didn't include in our semester. I thought and thought about what I could do, and I finally realized what I needed to work on. I found myself looking at videos and blogs and other resources that we have learned, and I finally decided that I didn't need any of that. EDM 310 is all about technology and how we can use it as educators in the classroom. For the assignment that I am creating, I am going just at the surface of what this class is truly about. More than that, I'm going to dig into the minds of myself and potentially other EDM students. 

Assignment: Answer the following question in a blog post. Be sure to include detail and explain your answers thoroughly. 
In your opinion, based on the learnings from this class and prior to this course, what are some pros and cons regarding technology in the elementary school classroom?

I chose to do this assignment because it focuses on the elementary school, and it is an important question regarding technology in it. 

Part 2: Do the lesson

Technology is something that is taking its toll on the world, very rapidly in fact. Every corner you turn, there is an app for that or a new electronic device coming out or even a new trend on
There is an app for that
social media. The important question is "Is technology a good thing or is it hindering our students?" Technology is everywhere, and there is nothing that any of us can do about it. I don't want to do anything about it. It is a great resource. 

Teaching is something that will start in the lives of students as soon as the day they are born. They learn to hold their head, talk, walk, and read. Students don't stop learning. However there is one thing that I think technology in the classroom is preventing. When I was in school in elementary school, I learned by using hands on activities. I wanted a way to be creative or I wasn't going to learn anything. I feel that technology takes that away. I understand that you can have project based learning and do hands on projects for a student. That isn't what I mean. I know that the most difficult part of this class was to figure out how to add technology incorporation into a lesson plan. It is hard for me to think about using it when that wasn't how I learned. 

Future, future, futureNow before you think that I hate technology, you are wrong. I can think that it is hindering children in the way of removing that specific area of creativity in the lower level grades such as first, second, or third. I love technology, and I love what I get to offer students one day through it. Some pros of technology are that it will prepare students for the future. Jobs look for people that can do work on a laptop or desktop. It also has the ability to teach new skills and ideas. The final thing I love is that no matter what, you can get on any laptop and pull open the files that you needed. The resources are unlimited on the Internet. Unless the Internet goes out, you can access work files, social media, emails, and more with a few clicks of a button. I love what technology has to offer, and I can't wait to being using it. 






No comments:

Post a Comment